YouTube is incredibly popular with children of all ages. YouTube Restricted Mode enables you to choose whether to limit content on YouTube that might not be against YouTube Community Guidelines but even so may be unsuitable for your children.
When you opt into YouTube Restricted Mode, mature content and age-restricted videos won't show up in search, related videos, playlists, shows and movies.
Here's how to do it:
- Go to the bottom of any page on YouTube. There, alongside the YouTube logo and some other boxes, is the Restricted Mode box (this was formerly called Safety Mode.)
- Click so that Restricted Mode now reads ‘on’ and click ‘Save’. If you turn it on and you have a YouTube account, you can sign in to your account and lock Restricted Mode so that no one else can change the settings whenever YouTube is accessed from that browser.
- To lock Restricted Mode you need to have a You Tube or Google account.
- You need to be 13 to have a YouTube account.
- Spend some time watching YouTube with your children and check out what they like.
- Pay particular attention to what is shown in the related video menu when your children search for their favourite videos.